Subject: Storage of optical media

Storage of optical media

From: Robin Gelinson <gelinson>
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 1996
At our library we have no climate control...the stacks are hot and
humid in the summer, and hot and dry in the winter (the heating
system runs through the stacks). Currently, we store all of our
computer disks (floppies both 5 1/4 and 3 1/2) in an air conditioned
room.  Our music CD's are also in an air conditioned location.  Now
that we are receiving CD's which are either computer software or
sound (language stuff etc.) we are trying to determine the best
place to store them.  Has anyone done any research as to CD's
standing up to not so good weather? Thanks,

Robin Gelinson
Automation/Technical Services Librarian
Alverno College
Milwaukee, Wisconsin