Subject: Spine erasures on bookbindings

Spine erasures on bookbindings

From: Regina R. Sinclair <sinclair>
Date: Wednesday, September 25, 1996
Many thanks to the kind, helpful, thoughtful people who took the
time to advise me in the matter of problematic erasures on the
spines of unclassified serials bindings.  George Leake suggested
adhering book cloth over the offending lines of text on the spine.
Gary Frost suggested a particular type of desk-top labeling.
Patricia Palmer described how Virginia Commonwealth University uses
directional reference blocks in the stacks.  I had forgotten to
mention that this third option was rejected here early on.  I [plan]
to adopt both of the first two suggestions.

Regina Sinclair
Preservation Librarian
The University of Iowa Libraries

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 25, 1996