Subject: Spine erasures on bookbindings

Spine erasures on bookbindings

From: Artemis BonaDea <paradux>
Date: Monday, September 23, 1996
Regina R. Sinclair <sinclair [at] blue__weeg__uiowa__edu> writes

>... our Marking unit is routinely requested to erase
>(with an electric eraser) as many as five or six lines from the
>spine of a run of books in order to make title changes.  Nothing
>that we have tried to adhere to the spine to cover words we are
>directed to erase from the spine works without fail on all covering
>material.

I have sometimes had to remove lines of title or incorrect call
numbers from volumes returned from the library bindery.  These
volumes are bound in "bullet-proof" buckram which is very slick.  My
best success was to paint over the incorrect message with acrylic
paint.  It adhered well and did not crack off.  I was often able to
match the buckram color with some simple color matching but that was
not always as important as just getting the information covered up.

Artemis BonaDea
North Bound Books
Box 240768
Anchorage, AK  99824

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 25, 1996