Subject: Funding for preservation of historical photographs

Funding for preservation of historical photographs

From: Jim Moss <clkmkr>
Date: Sunday, September 22, 1996
My brother-in-law is a professional photographer. He is working with
a person in Maine that has a large collection of historical
photographs of the Kennebeck Region. Neither person has any
expertise in handling and caring for these photographs although each
person has a great sense of the historical and both are
collaborating on the production of a book using the photographs. I
am concerned that mis-handling will damage these historically
significant  photographs. I have gently suggested that a conservator
knowledgeable in photographic preservation be consulted: the
suggestion was received coolly. I suggested that there may be grants
available to assist with the cost of conservation/preservation but I
am not sure of this information. I feel that I am in a  delicate
situation and I am asking Cons DistList members for some assistance
regarding suggestions that will elicit a more positive response.
Also, if more accurate information regarding grants is available, I
would be grateful for that information also.

I have not seen these photographs: I do not know the condition of
them. I do know that some of them are on glass and others are
nitrate. They have been stored in the back room of a Maine house
with no climate control.  A book was published using some of these
photographs a few years ago and the pictures that I have viewed
showed signs of mis-handling, scratches, faded spots and damaged
edges. Any help would be most graciously appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Moss

                Distributed: Monday, September 23, 1996