Subject: Consolidation of chalk drawings

Consolidation of chalk drawings

From: Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <schaudt>
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 1996
Alex Warren <sinopia [at] sfo__com> writes

>and Spray Fixatives, I've had the following experience. Many of our
>customers have complained about the discoloration that occurs when
>spray fixatives with resins are used. Just recently one our patrons
>seems to have come up with a very basic but seemingly effective
>solution. He has essentially created a casein fixative for his
>pastel drawings. He uses low-fat or non-fat milk in combination with
>denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and then applies this with an
>atomizer.

Could you please share the proportions for mixing up the casein
fixative? I will refrain from using it until I know if it is
archival, but I will pass it on to my daughter  who has to preserve
student charcoal work on newsprint. If this works it will be a better
solution for an entire class choking on several brands of fixative
and hair spray. Thank you,

Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt
Scientific Illustrator/Artist

                Distributed: Friday, September 20, 1996