Subject: Wool carpeting

Wool carpeting

From: Jane E. Klinger <jklinger>
Date: Thursday, September 19, 1996
We would like to hear from colleagues regarding their experiences
with wool carpeting.  Our building management division is
considering replacing the carpeting in the Museum, Library and
Archives with wool carpeting that has been selected by the original
architectural design team.  We have already provided the
powers-that-be with information concerning the perils of using wool
vs. the advantages of synthetic and have written a policy statement.
We have subsequently been asked to provide the policies and
experiences of other institutions regarding the use of wool
carpeting.

In a recent meeting, the representative from the wool carpeting
manufacturer stated that the carpeting will be treated with the
insecticide primetherine.  According to him, the insecticide is
applied to the wool in such a way that it bonds with the fiber much
like a dye and, therefore, will never need to be reapplied.  We are
somewhat sceptical of this claim. Furthermore, the manufacturer is
recommending a hot water extraction method for cleaning the
carpeting which would necessitate a fairly long drying time in
exhibit and stack areas.

Any information or expertise you can share, from personal
experience, to institutional policy, to any analysis of the
insecticide, references, etc. would be helpful.

                Distributed: Friday, September 20, 1996