Subject: Rubber adhesives

Rubber adhesives

From: Kate Roberts <kater>
Date: Monday, September 16, 1996
The following is posted on behalf of Valerie Carson

    I have a Blackwork silk embroidered pillow cover, late 16th
    century awaiting treatment.  Some friendly picture framer has
    created a sub frame of linen. He/she then horrors of horrors
    adhered this subframe to the edges of the pillow cover,using a
    rubber adhesive. I was able to remove the sub-frame mechanically
    with no damage, but 13 mm of unsightly adhesive is covering the
    perimeter embroidery.

    I have tried various solvents on test sections of the
    sub-frame (which will not be retained). Has anyone out there
    had similar experience and did you solve this vexed question?
    many thanks in anticipation.

    Valerie Carson
    Textiles conservator
    Museum of New Zealand
    valeriec [at] tawera__monz__govt__nz

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 17, 1996