Subject: Consolidation of chalk drawings

Consolidation of chalk drawings

From: Alex Warren <sinopia>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996
and Spray Fixatives, I've had the following experience. Many of our
customers have complained about the discoloration that occurs when
spray fixatives with resins are used. Just recently one our patrons
seems to have come up with a very basic but seemingly effective
solution. He has essentially created a casein fixative for his
pastel drawings. He uses low-fat or non-fat milk in combination with
denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and then applies this with an
atomizer. Now I'm not a conservator, but the whole process seems
quite safe and archival to me. Others who have tried it, seem quite
happy with the results (minimal discoloration). Sincerely,

Alex Warren
Sinopia Pigments & Materials

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 17, 1996