Subject: Discovering wall surface

Discovering wall surface

From: Jonathan Moore <jmoore>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996
This was a question brought to me by a museum colleague for which, I
am afraid, I have no proper answers, perhaps the list can be of
help?  My colleague is attempting to restore his museum which is
based inside a residence dating to 1870 to its original state.  It
had been extensively modernized and renovated in the 1930s.  He is
specifically asked on how he could remove the existing wall surface
(paint) as to discover and protect the original wall covering, if it
is still extant.  Unfortunately he does not know what type of paint
was used in the renovation in the 1930s.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on what course of action he could take? Thanks,

Michelle Eaton
Cataraqui Archaeological Research Foundation
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 17, 1996