Subject: Leather dressing--corrigendum

Leather dressing--corrigendum

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Tuesday, September 17, 1996
I received a letter from Paul Storch, editor of Leather Conservation
News, who does not have access to email:

    In his 29 August 1996 posting on the Cons DistList, Mr. John E.
    McIntyre mistakenly quoted me as saying that the use of lanolin
    and neatsfoot oil does not prolong the life of vegetable tanned
    leather effectively. Soren Ibsen on Aug. 25 actually wrote that
    statement as a quotation from the article that was published in
    The Leather Conservation News. Toby Raphael and Ellen McCrady
    are the authors of that article. Mr. Ibsen listed my name as the
    source for The Leather Conservation News. Mr McIntyre apparently
    thought that Mr. Ibsen was quoting me as the author of the
    article.

    Ironically, I agree with Mr. McIntyre's statements in the
    context in which he framed them. I would disagree with him that
    potassium lactate doesn't do any harm. There have been cases
    reported of spue formation on book binding leathers from both
    K-lactate and lanolin/neatsfoot oil applications. The most
    recent issue of the LCN had a research report on this problem
    (Vol. 11/1-2). It is the CCI conservators who have discontinued
    recommending the use of lanolin/neatsfoot oil based dressing
    applications.

    Sincerely,

    Paul S. Storch
    Objects Conservator
    Leather Conservation News
    John and Martha Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory
    Minnesota History Center
    612-297-5774
    Fax: 612-296-9961

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 17, 1996