Subject: Non-aqueous mortar

Non-aqueous mortar

From: Shelley Sass <sass>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996
Ellen Pearlstein, Objects Conservator at the Brooklyn Museum, has
posed this question about mortar alternatives to me. I am interested
in mortar materials but had no immediate suggestions.  Maybe someone
has a recommendation.  Responses may be through the list and I will
forward to her, or directly to Ellen Pearlstein, Brooklyn Museum,
200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11238.

Has anyone developed a non-aqueous "mortar" that can be safely used
on ancient limestone with soluble salts.  Specifically, I will be
needing to fill large, structural losses in limestone statuary
outdoors, on site in Egypt.  I will need to be able to carve and
model my fill material.  While I am planning to try to use
replacement limestone for the "bulk" of the fill, I am wondering
whether there is a non-aqueous fill that has the working properties
of plaster or mortar and is durable.  Pure water is a limited
commodity in Egypt, and while mortars and cements are used often, I
would prefer not to expose the statuary to water, if possible.

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 11, 1996