Subject: Consolidation of chalk drawings

Consolidation of chalk drawings

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Monday, September 9, 1996
Marke Vine< 1004363447 [at] compueserue__com> writes

>What might be the appropriate treatment for a set of chalk drawings
>that require consolidation?

Elaine Hodeges <mnhen039 [at] sivm__si__edu > writes

>a commercial
>fixative is...... available in art stores. These fixatives slightly darken
>blacks.....Art suplly labeling is oftem quite inaccurate.

First I would like to suggest that the use of any fixative on any
work of art with a soft medium (chalk, pastels etc.) will always
affect the drawing. It will affect the paper and the applyed
technique and in this case the chalk. Even small amounts of fixative
can effect the freshnes of the drawing or its velvet appearance, and
somtimes thick applications resulting with darkning of the art
object. Before considering  the application of fixative, it is worth
to consider whether an appropriate mating and framing can protect
the drawing (6 to 8 ply acid free museum board). However sometimes
we have to use fixatives for many good reasons of conservation and
preservation processes, this is due to their condition and it is the
roll of the paper conservator to suggest upon the best intervention.
Choosing what materials to use as fixative is again a profesional
decision which is directly related to the condition of the drawing.
I found the best results (concerning chalk drawings) working with
Paraloid B-72 in toluene 5-8%  v/v. I use it with an air-brush which
has a gentle mist and air flow that can be reduced to prevent from
the media to run away.

Michael Maggen
Senior paper conservator
The Israel Museum.

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 10, 1996