Subject: Book cradles

Book cradles

From: Priscilla Thomas <priscilla.thomas>
Date: Monday, September 2, 1996
What a tremendous resource you all are...I can't begin to tell you
how many responses I received; I want to thank all of you by way of
this message and share with the rest of you what I learned.

The grey foam supports that I was unable to locate in any of the
catalogs are made by:

    United Foam Plastics Corp.
    2175 Partin Settlement Rd.
    Kissimmee, FL 34744-8697
    407-933-4880

The product is known as Christopher Clarkson's Rare Book Support
System.

Their counterpart across the pond is:

    Polyformes Limited
    Cherrycourt Way
    Stanbridge Road
    Leighton Buzzard
    Bedfordshire
    England
    LU7 8UH
    +44 525 852444
    Fax: +44 525 850484

Also, I was told that there is possible off-gassing at first, but
probably it diminishes. Most likely the greatest worry with these
supports is that they eventually breakdown as any foam will do, and
I was advised that there are different types of foam one can
purchase, although I haven't seen the catalog or information from
United Foam as yet to say that's true about their product.

I also received a response from Spires Bindery; apparently they are
beginning to make something very similar and probably are anxious
for business. The address and phone is as follows:

    Spires Bindery
    1624 S. Canal Rd.
    Lansing, MI 48917
    517-627-3483

This is not an endorsement, I'm simply offering the information I
received. Again, I just want to say thanks for all the info which
came not just by email, but by phone, too.

Priscilla Thomas
Special Collections
University of Delaware Library
Newark, DE 19717-5267