Subject: Silica gel

Silica gel

From: Clara Margaret Deck <deck>
Date: Monday, August 26, 1996
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

I would like to hear from anyone who has worked with silica gel as a
buffering agent for sealed exhibit cases. More specifically, I would
like to know what ratio of silica gel-to- case volume has proven
effective in maintaining a reasonable RH range over time (say, three
months).

The Canadian Conservation Institute recommends 20kg/meter cubed (a
lot!). I have cases with volumes ranging from 25 to 75 square feet,
so I would like to know if we can use less than this CCI
recommendation, but still buffer the RH effectively. Any ideas?

Clara Deck
Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village
Dearborn MI, 48121

                Distributed: Wednesday, August 28, 1996