Subject: Steamers

Steamers

From: Warwick Peberdy <warwickp>
Date: Monday, August 26, 1996
On August 2 Johann Alcock asked about steamers.

Several years ago I purchased a J3 Heavy Duty Jiffy Steamer for
removing animal glue from book spines, separating documents, etc.

I find the steamer still works well for my requirements. It
basically provides bulk steam, with no variation, to the site
required and it is then up to the user to provide the necessary fine
adjustments. It is possible to adapt the standard nozzle to your
requirements if necessary. The standard nozzle distributes the steam
from five 5 mm (3/16 inches) diameter holes spaced evenly over 10 cm
(4 inches). It only splutters if water is allowed to collect in the
hose.

The Jiffy Steamer is available from:

    S&M Supply Co.
    PO Box 4296
    Kingston ACT 2604
    Australia
    1800 020 001
    Fax: +61 6 280 4885

or

    Jiffy Steamer Co.
    PO Box 869, Route 3
    Union City, TN 38261
    USA
    901-885-6690
    Fax: 901-885-6692

Warwick Peberdy
Manager, Preservation Services
Australian Archives
PO Box 552, Cannon Hill, Queensland 4170, Australia
+61 7 3249 4209
Fax: +61 7 3399 6589

                Distributed: Wednesday, August 28, 1996