Subject: Leather dressing

Leather dressing

From: Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen>
Date: Monday, August 26, 1996
Patricia L. Chalmers asked about the use of potassium lactate with
p-nitro-phenol.  After drying she use a mixture of lanolin and
neatsfoot oil.

Some years ago we also used potassium lactate, but since it has no
effect on leather, we have dropped it out.  The use of lanolin and
neatsfoot oil does not prolong the life of vegetable tanned leather
effectively. (ref. Leather Dressing:  To Dress or Not to Dress:
Leather Conservation News.  Volume 1  Number 1 Spring 1983.)

Leather Conservation News can be subscribed from:

    Paul S. Storch
    Objects Conservation Laboratory
    Minnesota History Center
    345 Kellogg Blvd.  West