Subject: Leather dressing

Leather dressing

From: Patricia L. Chalmers <chalmers>
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 1996
My predecessor here initiated a programme some years ago of using
leather preservatives on the leather bindings in our rare book
collection. On the present schedule each book receives treatment
about once in five or six years.

We use Leather Protector first, British Museum formula, containing
potassium lactate and p-nitrophenol.  Then we use Leather Dressing,
N.Y. Public Library formula (Formula #6 in Carolyn Horton's manual)
containing lanolin and neatsfoot oil. Both products appear in
TALAS's catalogue.

Our supplies are getting low, and while I was thinking of placing
another order, I thought I would ask what the current opinion is of
these products, and the practice of using them.

Patricia L. Chalmers
Assistant Librarian (Collections)
University of King's College
Halifax, Nova Scotia  B3H 2A1