Subject: Hair spray as fixative

Hair spray as fixative

From: Elaine Hodges <mnhen039>
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 1996
Regarding the question about Aqua Net hair spray, I have never heard
of this being used for art work. Usually Krylon fixatives or some
other brands sold in art stores are used. Krylon Workable fixative
provides a light "setting" of friable media but permits erasures and
re-working; Krylon "Crystal Clear" is a "permanent" fixative. At one
time it included toluene, I believe, which is something I would
avoid (carcinogen), but this may not be the case now. I do not know
the "archival" effects of any of these and would be interested in
comments by the contributors to this list.  I suspect that Aqua Net
would provide the same protection effect as Crystal Clear--similar
to a light shellac.

Elaine R.S. Hodges
Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
202-357-2128
Fax: 202-786-2894