Subject: Leather consolidation

Leather consolidation

From: Elizabeth Wild <ewild>
Date: Monday, August 19, 1996
I need some information about leather consolidation, mainly what to
use and its affects on the leather, stability, aging qualities, etc.
The leather I need to consolidate is an orange/brown colour and has
an extremely powdery surface. The leather runs across the top of two
canvas trade union banners and has large brass eyelets running
through it at regular intervals. When the banners are exhibited, the
are suspended from steel and brass rods by cords which pass through
the brass eyelets which are situated through the leather.
Essentially, when the banners are on display, the leather acts as a
reinforcing material and is under a great deal of stress. The powder
from the leather is also falling over the rest of the banners.

I have heard about some conservators using 4% Klucel E in ethanol or
acetone and Klucel G mixed in ethanol to a "consistency of syrup".
Has anyone used these particular recipes and if so, what were your
results?

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 20, 1996