Subject: UV photography

UV photography

From: Balint Flesch <100263.262>
Date: Saturday, August 17, 1996
Flavia Philp <fphilp [at] wallcoll__demon__co__uk> wrote:

> ....fluorescence photography of furniture.
> Tests were carried out with Ektachrome 100 ASA film and UV lamps.
> The results were not very satisfactory as the colours on the prints
> were mainly blues, even where oranges, yellows and browns should
> Also a Kodak Wratten Filter 2B (pale yellow), for UV and
> fluorescence photography, was used. The result: a wide range of
> greens. I think that using either a 15% or a 35% yellow filter would
> produce prints with readable results.

Probably the remainder of some wavelengths of the UV radiation is
stronger for the film than the visible light of fluorescentia.

Try Kodak Wr. 2C and/or 2E perhaps 3 if it possible. If not: a
double 2B, or a 2B together with a normal UV or Skylight filter
maybe useful. Additional CC filters would be necessary, or try a
negative film and correct it by printing.

Balint Flesch
Archaist/conservation photographer
Budapest/Hungary

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 20, 1996