Subject: Mounting Genizah fragments

Mounting Genizah fragments

From: Nancy Elkington <bl.nee>
Date: Tuesday, August 13, 1996
Benjamin Richler <richler [at] vms__huji__ac__il> writes

>I received this query from a colleague at the Jewish Theological
>Seminary. Any suggestions?
>
>    As you may know, we have several boxes of unsorted scraps of
>    Genizah fragments.  Many of them are quite small--most are
>    really scraps.
>
>    As we think of binding them and making them available, we are
>    wondering what other libraries are currently doing about housing
>    their manuscript fragments.  I heard that Cambridge no longer
>    mounts their fragments into those large unwieldy volumes.

Cambridge is now running a major project to conserve, index and
digitize their Cairo Genizah collection.  RLG is talking with member
libraries that also hold portions of the original genizah to
determine levels of interest in a collaborative effort along similar
lines to Cambridge's.  Check out their web site or contact them
directly for information about what they are doing.  Dr. Stefan Reif
can be reached at genizah [at] ula__cam__ac__uk

    http://www.cam.ac.uk/Libraries/Taylor-Schechter/Collection.html

Nancy Elkington
Research Libraries Group
Mountain View, CA