Subject: Water sensors

Water sensors

From: Judith Murphy <jamurphy>
Date: Monday, August 12, 1996
Shelley Sass <sass [at] is2__nyu__edu> writes

>Has anyone had experience with the usefulness of water sensors for
>the early detection of leaks, burst pipes, etc.?

We had not only a water sensor, but two drains installed in our new
conservation lab when we moved into the basement three years ago.
When the flood waters came (from a broken valve), they rushed right
past the drains, due to a previously unnoticed hump in the floor,
and the sensor never peeped.  It had been installed an inch or more
off the floor in the highest corner, furthest from the doors to the
mechanical rooms. Water sensors are a good idea, but only if they
are in the path of the water.  Rolling a marble around on your floor
will help find the low spots and the best position for your sensor.

Judith Murphy
Center for Southwest Research
UNM General Library
Albuquerque, NM 87131-1466