Subject: Fibre optic lighting

Fibre optic lighting

From: Susan Braovac <susan.braovac>
Date: Monday, August 12, 1996
We are in the planning stages for upgrading one of the galleries at
the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo.  We want to introduce fibre optic
lighting into the display cases, which are climate controlled,
averaging around 50% over the year.  The objects are mainly made
from wood, but there is also some metal and leather.   Presently,
they are lit from outside the case, using fluorescent lights.  There
is ample space above the display cases (at least one meter) to
ensure adequate separation and ventilation of the light source from
the output ends.

We would like hear about anyone's experiences using fibre optics,
especially in connection with the air-tightness of the lamps'
fixtures inside the showcases, and the most suitable materials to
use for the showcase ceiling, which will hold the fixtures in place.
The cases are large (the largest is about 12m long by 1.5 m deep by
1.5 m high)and will have approximately 65 light fixtures in each.
The ceiling fabric will also have to be strong enough to support
some shelves on which smaller objects will sit. We are considering
using exterior grade plywood:  it is strong and it is easy to work
with (installing the light fixtures will be a big job).  The
question is, is the adhesive stable...one plywood company we have
contacted use phenolic resin adhesive.

I have also heard of MDF (medium density fibre board) which has been
previously recommended for this purpose, but apparently it contains
volatile agents that are harmful to objects and it is difficult to
work with.  Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Susan Braovac
Conservator
University Museum of National Antiquities
Frederiksgate 3,
0164 Oslo
Norway
+47 22 85 95 02