Subject: Books wet by window cleaner

Books wet by window cleaner

From: Karla L. Geerlings <mulkgeer>
Date: Tuesday, August 6, 1996
Today a librarian brought me several general collection books which
had been together in a box when a bottle of Windex was overturned in
it.  Most of the pages were only wet on the edges, but some were
soaked clear through.  I immediately interleaved all items and
fanned them out to dry.  Some of the dyes from cover materials bled
to the pages, but text does not seem to have been effected.  Is
there more I can do for these items?  Could the solvent drying on
the paper have adverse effects in the future?  What about the smell?

I have a similar item which smells strongly of gasoline.  Any
suggestions? Thanks,

Karla L. Geerlings
Preservation Unit Head
University of Missouri--Columbia