Subject: Terminology

Terminology

From: Colin Williamson <smileplas>
Date: Monday, August 5, 1996
Hilary Kaplan suggested that "non-toxic" is  a meaningless
description in the statement

>Don't be fooled about the term "non-toxic."  It means that when a
>product was tested, a complete kill did not occur. It does not mean
>that it was without toxicity.  Kind of scary when you think about
>children's toys.

Please don't forget that, 'all things are poison, all things are
essential, it just depends on the dose'. Water, common salt and
carbon dioxide are all toxic if taken in excess but we would all
accept that they are generally regarded as 'non-toxic'  Words like,
'safe', 'non-flammable', 'clean', 'archival', etc., etc., can be
defined to a level where they are meaningless, please let's accept
common sense in this forum.

Colin Williamson

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 7, 1996