Subject: Steamers

Steamers

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Monday, August 5, 1996
On August 2 Johann Alcock asked if anyone had recently purchased a
steamer that they were happy with.  I recently ordered a steamer
that the Northeast Document Conservation Centre in Andover, Mass.
told me about.  It's one of those cheap plastic ones--you fill it
with water, add salt (or baking soda) and plug in.  It's a light
iron-shaped model which you can hold horizontally. I haven't had any
problem with dripping or sputtering.  The steam jet is hot and wet
enough for removing backings from works of art on paper.
Disadvantages: the steam jet is a little wider than I'd like it to
be, and you can't adjust it.  It also lacks an on-off switch, though
I plan to install one on the cord.  But for 20 dollars US, it's a
bargain.

It's called the "International Steamer/Ironer", model 167N or the
"PowerSteamer", model 167N.

You can get it from:

    Kembrick Corporation
    Southbury Manufacturing Co.,