Subject: Glue sticks

Glue sticks

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Monday, August 5, 1996
Sid Berger <sidney.berger [at] ucr__edu> writes

>Another conservator told me that the glue is safe--not acidic--but
>that he prefers the Uhu glue sticks, which, he said, had a better
>glue.  [I don't recall the reason it was "better."]

Uhu sticks might be less acidic than other products, but like most
glue stick products, one finds a couple of tacky problems. First of
all, some products are questionable in terms of reversibility.
Secondly, every glue stick product I've used, including Uhu, has a
tendency to harden up to the consistency of candy or shellac. If at
all possible, a switch to wheat or rice starch paste is recommended.

George Leake
HRHRC Conservation Dept.
UT Austin

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 7, 1996