Subject: Epoxy resin systems

Epoxy resin systems

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Tuesday, August 6, 1996
In regard to Mark Vine's inquiry (Conservation DistList Instance:
10:14) about the use of fumed silica in epoxy: I have not used this
in epoxy but have recently been working with softer filling mixtures
(using PVA resins or B-72 as binders). Glass micro-balloons, fumed
silica (I used Cab-o-sil), paper pulp, each have their peculiar
qualities in fillings.  It is difficult to describe the range of
properties, like drying time, wet slump, tendency toward ghosting on
adjacent surfaces, and just plain feel of the mixture on a palette,
that would make one seem better than another for a specific use. The
nature of the problem, like how deep the areas to be filled are, and
how much the filling needs to stick to its surroundings, are very
varied and likewise hard to describe.

See Krumrine and Kronthal, "What a relief! a practical, inexpensive
approach to the conservation of a large XIX Dynasty sandstone stela"
in the AIC Objects Group Postprints 1995

Barbara Appelbaum

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 7, 1996