Subject: Epoxy resin systems

Epoxy resin systems

From: George Bailey <george.bailey>
Date: Friday, August 2, 1996
On 27 July Mark Vine asked if anyone had experience with using fumed
silica as a thickening agent with epoxy.

I have used microballoons with epoxies on many occasions for
infilling, and have not experienced any problems with such mixes as
yet. I don't use any given formula for proportions of microballoons
to epoxy. I just keep adding microballoons to the epoxy until I get
the consistency that I need for the job. The consistency or
viscosity that one mixes will depend on several factors such as the
pot life of the epoxy, that volume & difficult of the area to be
filled, temperature etc.

The addition of any bulking powders, such as fumed silica or
microballoons, will result in a decrease in the strength of the
epoxy. It also makes it easier to sand & shape after cure.

Don't forget to wear appropriate safety equipment.

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation