Subject: Soot

Soot

From: Robien van Gulik <teyler>
Date: Friday, July 26, 1996
The message of Claire Dean (Conservation DistList Instance: 10:11)
about the sootmaster sponge (of which I too have only heard
indirectly) has given me the idea for this request: has anyone on
the list any experience in removal of soot and smoke from objects? I
need information about this for the disaster plan for Teylers
Museum, and I have found it not easy to come by. I am interested in
the removal of soot and smoke from paper, books (leather and cloth
bound), oil paintings, coins, fossils, minerals, physical
instruments and furniture.

Robien van Gulik
Head of Paperconservation
Teylers Museum