Subject: Storage of Russia leather

Storage of Russia leather

From: Mark Aronson <mark.aronson>
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 1996
We are considering acquiring, for our study collection, an uncut
skin of 18th century Russia leather.  The hide was recovered from an
underwater wreck and has been desalinated.  The leather is rather
supple and aromatic. What are the recommended storage conditions?
May it be stored rolled or is it better flat?

Mark Aronson
Conservator
Yale University Art Gallery

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 1, 1996