Subject: Glue sticks

Glue sticks

From: Meredith Curtis <mcurtis>
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 1996
Our library uses a non-toxic "glue stick" for pocket labels and I am
concerned that this will lead to deterioration of the paper
underneath the pockets as well as the whole book (in time).  I have
seen these "stix" advertised in archival catalogues so I am getting a
mixed message as to their archival quality.  Should we be using PVA
instead?

Also, the person who glues the pocket labels likes the handiness of
using a stick instead of a brush and glue or liquid glue which
creates a mess.  Is PVA or other preservationally correct glue ever
sold in stick form? Thanks in advance for your help,

Meredith Curtis
Technical/Public Services Librarian
Salzmann Library/ St. Francis Seminary
3257 S. Lake Dr.