Subject: Varnishing technique

Varnishing technique

From: Kim Brunoro <kim_brunoro>
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 1996
I am undertaking research into the most appropriate time period
between the removal of varnish from a painting and the
re-application of a varnish.  I propose to remove the varnish from a
painting and re-varnish sections at a series of time intervals. The
paint characteristics and finial appearance will be used to compare
samples and determine if there appears to be a length of time that
should be left between the two processes.  Some of the methods of
investigation will be the rate at which the solvent evaporates from
the paint layers, the penetration of the varnish into the paint, and
if the appearance (such as gloss) is altered by the time
differences. If time permits I will also investigate the effects of
different cleaning methods, different varnishes and different paint
surfaces may have, there are of course many other variables which
could not be covered at present.

I would appreciate comments on this research, especially appropriate
testing and analysis methods, and also any knowledge of similar
research currently being undertaken. Thank you,

Kim Brunoro
Ian Potter Art Conservation Centre
The University of Melbourne
Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia