Subject: 16th century colorants in Mexico

16th century colorants in Mexico

From: Susan Mathisen <samathisen>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 1996
Mary E. Haude <haude [at] fiat__gslis__utexas__edu> writes

>I am researching various paints, inks, and dyes used in Mexico
>during the Early Colonial Period

I can offer a little help regarding dyes used in Mexico.  You are on
track researching cochineal, indigo and Mollusk purple.  My sources
also mention use of madder for some reds, soot for blacks and browns
(when natural brown wool was not used), and all I could find about
yellows was a mention of "various vegetable plants."  In Southwest
America, inorganic dyes such as red hematite, yellow ochre, and
blue-green copper sulphate were also used to dye yarns.  Perhaps
these were also used in Mexico.

I suggest your checking the series "Dyes in History and
Archaeology," published annually by the Dye Researchers in York (I
order them from Archetype books).

I've also found a few additional sources that may help:

    Indian Art of Mexico and Central America, Miguel Covarrubias
    (Knopf, 1946)

    Mexican Indian Costumes (Donald and Dorothy Cordry (University
    of Texas Press, 1968, has great bibliography.)

    Southwest Museum Papers (Los Angeles) also has various articles
    on Mexican textiles

I hope this helps--please feel free to write me directly if you need
any further assistance.

Susan Mathisen
Ayers Conservation Studio

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 25, 1996