Subject: Rembrandt Peale and millboard supports

Rembrandt Peale and millboard supports

From: Judy Bischoff <bischojj>
Date: Wednesday, July 17, 1996
I am currently involved in a research project on Rembrandt Peale's
materials and methods.  I have recently encountered a portrait done
in oil on canvas, which is mounted on millboard.  The millboard is a
standard Winsor & Newton size (24 in x 20 in), covered in a fine
weave canvas, and has two 2.5 in wide strips on the back along the
diagonal. There is evidence which suggests that this support is the
original and not a later transfer of a canvas painting to the solid
support.

I have been querying everyone I know if they've run into similar
supports used by this artist, but so far, only one conservator has
seen Rembrandt Peale use a millboard support, and that was as a
gessoed panel with *no* canvas.  I have queried the Inventory of
American Painting and Sculpture in Washington DC, but unfortunately
I cannot search any field which includes dimensions. (as in standard
millboard size dimensions).  A search of support gives little or no
information.

I would appreciate information from anyone who may have encountered
this type of support on Rembrandt Peale paintings or other 19th
century American OR European artists.  I would also like to have
some dialog with any who have treated Rbt Peale paintings. Though I
am on this list, I would appreciate private E-mail regarding this
project. Thanks very much,

Judy Bischoff
Assistant Professor of Conservation Science
Buffalo State College
Art Conservation Department
Buffalo, NY 14222

                   Distributed: Friday, July 19, 1996