Subject: Removing cellulose acetate from silk

Removing cellulose acetate from silk

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Wednesday, July 17, 1996
Christine Mouw <christine.mouw [at] hoover__nara__gov> writes

>... In 1970, the ribbon was
>laminated by placing it on mat board and completely covering with
>cellulose acetate.
>
>The conservators I am working with have determined that the
>cellulose acetate can be easily removed with acetone, but are unsure
>of the effect of the acetone on the silk ribbon (we are assuming the
>ribbon is silk).

HMG Ld makers of Cellulose Nitrate Adhesive, industrial lacquers and
paints have told me that acetone is the commonly preferred choice of
solvent for resolving the effects of paint/lacquer spillages on
modern fabrics and materials and that they were certainly not aware
of any adverse effects with silk.

As much as anything Acetone is used because of its quick evaporation
but HMG told me that as an alternative any "cellulose thinners
blend" would perform just as well. HMG apparently produce a blend
for the industrial commercial paints market which comprises some 4-5
different solvents but they would not be drawn on its specific
composition.

Mark G.Vine
Conservation Resources
England