Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Danna Bell-Russel <dbrussel>
Date: Monday, July 15, 1996
We are beginning to have a big problem with mold. From what I can see
it has not begun to attack any of the collections but is showing up
in hallways and stairwells where work was done to remove asbestos
from water pipes and repairs were done on the air conditioning. I
have alerted our buildings and grounds staff and their response was
to paint over it. I don't think this is a good idea.

I am in the process of writing a memo to the library administration
(most of whom have little or no knowledge of mold and the problems
that it can cause in both humans and books.) I do have some
information on mold (such as items from NEDCC and SOlINET) but I
need to locate something that I can present to them that will
explain the problems for both humans and collections in an easy to
read fashion that is also brief and to the point. I am also
interested to know if painting over the mold is a bad idea and what
treatment options I can suggest.

Danna Bell-Russel

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 16, 1996