Subject: Sootmaster sponge

Sootmaster sponge

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean>
Date: Tuesday, July 16, 1996
A client of ours recently advised by a co-worker to use a product
called a Sootmaster Sponge made by Unger Enterprises Inc., to remove
graffiti from a fragile sandstone rock face.  It is described on the
label as being "a recently formulated type of natural rubber sponge
chemically treated for the easy, rapid and effective removal of
dirt, smoke stains, soot and dust from most surfaces."  It is
marketed for use in fire restoration work.

I'm in the field at present and can't make the necessary calls to
the makers until I get back to my office.  In the meantime, has
anyone used this product, know anything about its composition, and
so forth?

J. Claire Dean
Dean & Associates Conservation Services
3438 NE 62nd Avenue