Subject: Removing cellulose acetate from silk

Removing cellulose acetate from silk

From: Christine Mouw <christine.mouw>
Date: Tuesday, July 16, 1996
I have a campaign ribbon in our collection from the 1892 election
for the Populist candidate James Weaver.  In 1970, the ribbon was
laminated by placing it on mat board and completely covering with
cellulose acetate.

The conservators I am working with have determined that the
cellulose acetate can be easily removed with acetone, but are unsure
of the effect of the acetone on the silk ribbon (we are assuming the
ribbon is silk).

Has anyone ever had any experience with silk and acetone?  Does
anyone have any other suggestions for removing the cellulose acetate
from my campaign ribbon, or am I better off leaving it on there?
Thanks for your help,

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, IA  52358

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 16, 1996