Subject: Painted tinplate

Painted tinplate

From: Dominique Rogers <Do>
Date: Sunday, July 14, 1996
I am presently cleaning a painting on a tinplate panel. The oil
paint layer is very thin and finely crackled. There are some area
of corrosion where the rust is starting to lift the paint film. They
are very small: about 1 to 2 mm in diameter. Is there anything I can
do to inhibit the corrosion? If possible I would rather not lift off
the paint completely as it is very very thin and might prove
difficult to put back in place. I do not have access to
sophisticated equipment. I would also be grateful for any comments
on the ethical implications of destroying the original paint layer
to be able to stop the corrosion.  Thank you for your help.

Dominique Rogers
Ganapati Kumari, Pinmill, Ipswich, IP9 1JW, UK.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 16, 1996