Subject: 16th century colorants in Mexico

16th century colorants in Mexico

From: Mary E. Haude <haude>
Date: Tuesday, July 16, 1996
I am researching various paints, inks, and dyes used in Mexico
during the Early Colonial Period, ca. 1520-1600. I am investigating
both materials manufactured in and imported to Mexico. The research
is related to the treatment of a Mexican land map dated 1580, which
is part of a questionnaire compiled for King Philip II to survey the
regions of New Spain.

It appears that before and during the sixteenth century, the palette
of the Mexican scribes consisted mostly of black, white, red,
orange, yellow, green, blue, and brown. I have found a good deal of
information about indigo, Maya blue, cochineal, and iron gall inks,
and some information about calcium carbonate and carbon-based
pigments. However, I have found very little information about the
greens, yellows, oranges, and browns.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a similar research
interest or who may have suggestions for good sources.

Mary Elizabeth Haude
Preservation and Conservation Studies Program
The University of Texas at Austin

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 16, 1996