Subject: Effect of freezing on museum artefacts

Effect of freezing on museum artefacts

From: Vinod Daniel <vinodd>
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 1996
The Australian museum has a Integrated Pest Management Plan where
every artefact that comes into its collection is treated. The two
methods most often employed are Low Oxygen, and Freezing.

I am presently working on a project evaluating the effect of low
temperature (freezing) on artefacts. I have some good literature
from Tom Strang, Mary Lou Florian, Dale Kronkrite... I am still
interested in finding out from conservators who have been using
freezing as a pest control method, on their experiences, especially
with regard to any visible damage any of their artefacts have
suffered while undergoing the treatment(This kind of information is
so hard to find through literature searches and papers!)

Can you please email me. Thank you very much. Of course, I promise
you a copy of my final report if you contribute.

Vinod Daniel
Scientific Officer
Materials Conservation
Australian Museum