Subject: Digitized collections and finding aids

Digitized collections and finding aids

From: Burt Altman <baltman>
Date: Friday, July 12, 1996
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please reply directly to the author

I would like to hear responses from archives that have digitized
some of their printed and/or photographic materials--or simply the
finding aids to these materials--and made them available on the
World Wide Web for researchers. I am particularly interested in
knowing if your institution has received feedback from researchers
on the following (I will be happy to summarize the results for you):

    1.  If a researcher has accessed your collection or finding
        aids, what benefits, if any, of such on-line research have
        they indicated (e.g., ability to find information quickly
        and efficiently) compared to visiting an archival facility
        and physically examining the materials?

    2.  In remotely accessing these materials, what problems have
        they encountered?

    3.  If you have been in touch with researchers that have
        traditionally avoided visiting an archival facility because
        of such factors as the bulk of materials to examine, poor
        finding aids, time constraints, travel costs, etc., have
        they indicated whether they would more likely use your
        facility if they could access your collections and finding
        aids online?

    4.  Since establishing your digital collection on the World Wide
        Web, has there been any noticeable increase or decrease - or
        any noticeable change at all--in usage statistics that could
        be attributed to the presence of these materials on the
        Internet?

    5.  If you have not digitized your materials in these
        collections, do you hope to do so in the future (funds and
        other resources permitting)?

    6.  What storage devices have you used to preserve the original
        digital images?

Please reply to my e-mail address.  Thank you for your help.

Burt Altman, Preservation Officer/Curator
Mildred and Claude Pepper Library
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 13, 1996