Subject: 4-chloro-m-cresol

4-chloro-m-cresol

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Friday, July 12, 1996
Frank Siegle <frank.siegle [at] t-online__de> writes

>I have some books in my workshop with mold on a few pages. I want to
>disinfect them before doing any restauration treatment.

There is an article in, I think, JAIC from several years ago on the
fungicidal properties of common paper conservation treatments--I
don't have the reference in front of me--but ethanol by itself is a
lot better bet both for personal and object safety than products
marketed as fungicides.

    **** Moderator's comments: perhaps this?:
    Florian, Mary-Lou E. and Dudley, David
    The inherent fungicidal features of some conservation processes
    Preprints of papers presented at the fourth annual meeting of
        the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and
        Artistic works, Dearborn, 1976. pp. 41-47
Barbara Appelbaum

                   Distributed: Friday, July 12, 1996