Subject: Magnetographic printer

Magnetographic printer

From: Jim Lindner <vidipax>
Date: Thursday, July 11, 1996
Rupert N. Evans <r-evans4 [at] uiuc__edu> writes

>Subject: Magnetographic printer
>Obviously, paper printed using this process will be more sensitive
>to heat than paper printed by laser printers or photocopiers.

Not necessarily.  Most xerographic systems (which include laser
printers) normally use heat and pressure to fuse the dry ink into
the paper.  I do not think that the system described is very
different from the system that most xerographic processes use - but
it does sound good in a sales brochure....  If there is a difference
in this system, it is probably minimal.  Most systems can not use
much more heat than 50C because if a piece of paper were to get
caught in the fusing station during a paper jam a fire could be
started.  Although it has been a long time since I had my head
inside a duplicator, I suspect that the basic physics have not
changed much.

Jim Lindner
VidiPax
The Magnetic Media Restoration Company

AND one of the many former employees of Xerox Corporation...........

                   Distributed: Friday, July 12, 1996