Subject: Paper terminology and marketing

Paper terminology and marketing

From: Deborah Howe <d-howe>
Date: Friday, July 5, 1996
conservators need to evaluate the products we buy more closely. Here
at Northwestern we test all the materials we purchase to make sure
that indeed they are what they claim to be.  When material is
received we use a spot test to determine if there is lignin or alum
present, then we take a pH reading using a pH meter. This is done on
the surface as well as pealing back layers to take readings. If an
item has never been ordered before we perform a titration test to
determine the alkaline reserve and are able to take the pH from a
slurry at this time.  This extensive test is then continued on items
on a yearly bases.  It is true that you don't always get what you
paid for, as every once in awhile we do find inferior products and
are able to bring this to the attention of the vendors.

Deborah Howe
Collections Conservator
Northwestern University Library
1935 Sheridan Road