Subject: Storage space with concrete floors

Storage space with concrete floors

From: Shelley Reisman Paine <srpaine>
Date: Monday, July 1, 1996

>We are going to be leasing newly-built storage space while the
>building we are acquiring for our new library and museum is under
>renovation. The storage space is on the ground floor. The flooring
>is concrete.
>... Will concrete floors (the
>supposed moisture they absorb) pose a threat to books, works on
>paper or even paintings if those items are stored up on the shelves?
>Are there any special steps that would need to be taken? Do we need
to cover the floors?

The floors should be sealed with an appropriate sealer.  You must
protect the collection not only from moisture but dust and other
materials which exhaust into the air as the concrete cures.  I have
recommended an epoxy coating in the past.  Please contact me and I
will be glad to discuss this with you further.

Shelley Reisman Paine
Conservator and museum consultant

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 6, 1996