Subject: Storage space with concrete floors

Storage space with concrete floors

From: Mark Ast <imagarts>
Date: Friday, June 28, 1996
I have the following follow-up questions for Mr. Adams:

Thank you for your recommendations on how to deal with storage space
with concrete floors.

Since our museum and library will move into the storage space with
concrete floors very soon, I want to do everything possible
preventively, before the imminent move, rather than deal with
rectifying massive problems after the move, or after serious damage
has been done.

Based on your explanation, I now understand some of the evaluations
that need to be done, and information I need to get, and how you
recommend controlling ambient humidity.

I am most interested in whether there are specific steps that could
or should be taken to minimize the problems.

A number of relative non-experts have recommended placing on top of
the concrete floor overlapping plastic tarps or sheets, to provide a
barrier to any rising moisture or humidity. This right away  raises
the question about mold/mildew which might form trapped under the
plastic, later being stirred-up or otherwise rising to create
problems in the future.

Others have recommended coating the floors with epoxy, rather than
paint.

In view of my goal of doing as much now, preventively, as possible,
can you provide specific recommendations on the best materials, and
sources of them, for treating or coating the floors?

Are there specific methods of dehumidification, including
models/manufactures, that you (or other list members), can provide?
What about testing: I have received suggestions ranging from the
tape-on test strips, to instruments.--Should we go "low tech" or
"high tech"?

Regarding "wicking paths", are you referring to fire hazards. I have
already received some advice about creating barrier, and possible
inversions of smoke plumes as they rise, rendering ineffective smoke
alarms positioned directly on the ceiling of the space due to its
height. Are there any other points we should keep in mind relative
to fire safety. Best regards,

Mark

                   Distributed: Friday, June 28, 1996