Subject: Audio tape binder problems

Audio tape binder problems

From: Richard Pearce-Moses <buster>
Date: Tuesday, June 25, 1996
I have a half-inch eight-track audio tape that is suffering binder
problems that are evidently typical of tapes made in the 1970s. I've
looked through some of the articles on the CoOL web site (thanks,
Walter!).  A few questions remain:

    1.  Is treatment of audio tapes any different from treatment of
        videotapes?

    2.  I read about two basic treatments: cleaning and baking.  I'd
        appreciate any guidelines in choosing which is the best
        treatment.

    3.  The engineer who I spoke to said the problem was oxide
        building up on the heads.  This sounded like "stiction" to
        me, but he said he'd only heard that term used in
        conjunction with videotape.  Is he right that stiction only
        occurs with video?

    4.  Finally, anything that I haven't touched on that I should
        keep my eyes open for?

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction/or assistance you can
offer,

Richard Pearce-Moses
Documentary Collections Archivist/Automation Coordinator, The Heard Museum
Owner: PhotoHst, LCSH-AMC, and SAACAIE
1001 E Griswold #17
Phoenix AZ 85020
602-252-8840