Subject: Wax

Wax

From: Craig Deller <craig1708>
Date: Sunday, June 23, 1996
I was recently asked about what appears to be mold growing on wax.
The objects in question are 19th Century American wax fruit that are stored
in an enclosed glass cabinet for display in a private home. The
owner has observed (I have not) a whitish material that forms on the
tops of the "fruit" and can only describe it as a mold.  They have
also said that by placing moth balls in the case the "mold" seems to
disappear. Has anyone any experience with such a phenomena??

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group
Geneva, Illinois

                   Distributed: Monday, June 24, 1996